Wirral teacher jailed for secretly filming young girl


A teacher at a leading Wirral school was jailed for 12 months today after secretly filming a young girl.

Michael Smith, the shamed former head of science at boys grammar school, St Anselm’s College in Birkenhead, had admitted voyeurism and taking indecent images.

St Anselm's College
St Anselm’s College

Liverpool Crown Court heard that after being confronted by the victim’s mum he cowardly fled to North Wales “selfishly” threatening to kill himself.

Jailing him Judge Robert Warnock told him:

“It is a sad fact that your rational and intellectual powers were not matched your understanding or insight into the emotions and needs of others compared to your own selfish desire for sexual gratification.”


He pointed out that despite having been caught out filming his teenage victim showering, after placing a hidden video camera, he went on to later repeat his perverted behaviour by using another hidden device to film her being intimate with her boyfriend.

Neville Biddle, prosecuting, told Liverpool Crown Court that after his victim found the first camera she confronted 53-year-old Smith but he made a spurious excuse and because of her embarrassment she did not tell anyone.

But four months later she discovered he had again been filming her while she had been with her boyfriend and she told her mum who notified the police.

Mr Biddle read a moving impact statements from the victim who described him as “a weirdo. He is a monster deserving to be punished.”

Divorcee Smith, of Grosvenor Road, Claughton, pleaded guilty to two offences of voyeurism and two of making indecent images.

Trevor Parry-Jones, defending, said that Smith, who has no previous convictions and has resigned from his job, is “terribly, terribly sorry.”

He did not understand why he had behaved as he had. He had lived an exemplary life but it went into a downward spiral after suffering stress from work and emotional problems following the death of his teen son in 2011 from a nut allergy at a restaurant in Liverpool.

It is believed Smith was in a relationship with the victims mother before the incident occurred.